Carol & John
Northshore Family Room
When I first met Carol and John, I immediately connected to Carol. She was witty, smart, and had an amazing fashion sense. John, on the other hand, seemed to be a bit apprehensive about the design process. But he quickly warmed up to me when I started giving him tips on his favorite room, the basement (his man cave).
The more I talked to Carol and John, the more I realized they were not in tune with the style of their house. The space was what I would call “North Shore Traditional”. It was very suburban Chicago, reds and warm colors highlighting an otherwise bland room.
Upon digging deeper, I realized that Carol and John were opposites of the style spectrum. Carol loved the beach – anything Cape Cod, grays, beiges and the neutral colors. John had a more modern, city condo style to him – blues, hard lines and chic patterns.
What we did:
Here’s the highlights of the rest of the project:
- Came up with a space plan, a color plan and fabric scheme that worked for both John and Carol.
- Used seating groupings to break up an otherwise large room.
- Reused several pieces of furniture and accessories.
- Selected all furnishings, accessories and art.
- Customized an entertainment center furnishing, that has since kept John in the living room more than in the basement, much to Carol’s delight.
What I love:
- They gave me the go ahead to mix up styles, all while keeping the palette fresh and clean.
- Those damn rugs. I have since ordered one for my own home.
- The art on the fireplace. We were able to go BIG and dramatic since we had the ceiling height.