I get asked this question quite a bit. Here is my advice on recognizing the signs that you are ready to work with me:
- You have a pile of design magazines with pages torn out, or dog-eared.
- You look around and you are exhausted (aesthetically) of living in your space. If you feel depleted when you are at home and unsure of what to do about it, an interior designer’s opinion may be key.
- You are yearning for custom furnishings and showroom exclusives. (A designer does not only have that exclusive access, but can also save you up to 30% off retail.)
- You are open to suggestions.
This one bears repeating – YOU ARE OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS. Hiring a professional interior designer does not necessarily mean relinquishing total control. It does, however, require having an open mind to their professional suggestions and solutions. If you find that you naturally micromanage all projects around you, no designer would ever be a good fit or satisfy your expectations.
- You can see the value in bringing in a professional. You probably don’t give yourself a haircut, or fix your own plumbing, so why decorate your own home?
- You value process. I often joke with my clients and tell them that I will be in their lives for no less than a year – so the guest bedroom must be comfortable!
Decorating a home can take months, even years. Most of my clients are full time professionals, parents, and volunteers. They leave it to me to manage their project, as their full time decorator.